[Distutils] Metadata fields

Mark W. Alexander mwa@gate.net
Sat Mar 17 07:48:01 2001

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 02:07:05 -0700
> From: Sean Reifschneider <jafo@tummy.com>
> To: Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us>, distutils-sig@python.org
> Subject: Re: [Distutils] Metadata fields
>
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 11:46:36AM -0500, Andrew Kuchling wrote:
> >But then the meta-data file can get lost; I like having it in the
> >tarball so if you have the source, you automatically have the
> >metadata.
>
> Yeah, I like it too.  But it's harder to do when the "source" is an
> HP-UX sd format file (which I don't know the format on), for example.
> I wrote the code to directly extract the PKG-INFO data out of a .tar,
> .tar.gz, .tar.bz, or .tar.Z file on the trip back home, so we're
> covered on that side...  .zip should be fairly easy to deal with...

But that's not really the source. Since distutils handles
(in theory) all binary formats, the catalog should only have to
manage information about the "real" distutils source with
some kind of pointer to where particular binaries live.

Also, Andrew, are these fields going to be implemented in the
Distribution metatdata class? I'm playing with an abstract
binary package class and it would be perfect to have all this
info available via the distribution.

Mark