[Distutils] Metadata fields

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Thu Mar 15 17:16:20 2001

Recently, "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com> said:
> Jack Jansen wrote:
> >
> > Could we add a field that would allow for the functionality that is
> > now in the (very little known) checkversion.py script?
>
> Doesn't the Version field have this information ?

The version field has half the info. The other half needed is an easy
way to find the most recent version. With a whole file of
metainformation it's probably the easiest to just make the current
metainformationfile readily accessible on the net (i.e. not only in
an installer archive) and make the URL "permanent". Actually the URL
doesn't even have to be permanent: if the version 1.0 metainfofile has
a URL www.veryoldsite.com/bla/package/metainfo.xml, and that
file (for version 2.0) has www.newersite.com/bla/package/metainfo.xml
you could keep a chain of the things.