[Distutils] Uninstalling

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Mon Mar 12 12:59:13 2001

> > How would this logfile be used? Should distutils contain a clean-up
> > command for this?
>
> I'm confused. You quote a bunch of text talking about remove_package.py
> but then you ask about the logfile?

Sorry about the bad quotes.

> I think distutils should have an uninstall command to provide a default
> implementation just as there is an install command. uninstall should
> undo everything it did by reading the logfile. If there happens to be a
> remove_packagename.py, distutils should run it before doing the
> file/registry uninstall.

What I mean is: How does the user trigger the uninstall?
Does he have to keep the setup.py file to trigger it?

Usual sequence:
download source distribution, unpack in a temporary directory,
run 'setup.py install', delete the source distribution.
Use the package, decide that it's not worth to be kept,
but now the setup.py file is gone...

Thomas