[Distutils] bdist_innoinst ?!

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Wed Jul 25 12:01:13 2001

From: "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal@lemburg.com>
> ... customized installs, add auxiliary package installs such as
> MDAC or ship MSVC DLLs etc.

I have the impression that in these times (file system protection
in win2000) it is even more complicated to get it right, or maybe
even impossible to replace/update system dlls. I remember having
looked (some time ago, win95 was current at that time) into the
WISE supplied ODBC install script, IIRC it didn't really look so easy.

Creating an bdist_inno would probably be more or less trivial,
on the other hand distutils would have to be extended to
allow specifying these DLLs.

> bdist_wininst is perfect for pure Python packages and probably
> most binary extensions too, but there are a small number
> of instances which do require more functionality and since
> Inno Setup is free, I thought it would be a good idea to add
> support for it to distutils.

Are you more heading towards installing python extensions together
with their binary dependecies, or towards installing Python
applications (the 'scripts=...' part)?

(IMO creating an inno setup script would be very useful for
py2exe, but this is probably a different issue...)

Thomas