[Distutils] bdist_wininst

Pete Shinners pete@visionart.com
Wed Jan 17 18:03:11 2001

these aren't bdist related, but general features i'd like to
see included with distutils (at some point) :]

> * no documentation files are installed -- is there a way to get
>   those installed somewhere

mmm, a python standard location for documentation would be a
big help. all my docs are currently in HTML, but i'm sure many
people are using a variety of formats. nonetheless, if python
had a standard format/location for documentation i think the
all users would benefit. perhaps distutils laying out some sort
of resonable standard on its own would be enough to get the
whole community to adopt it?
(of course, some documentation browsing tools in python would
be a nice followup)

> * the installer doesn't register itself in the Windows Software
>   registry -- an uninstall is not possible (this would be *very*
>   nice to have)

i was recently noticing some sort of "uninstall" would be a
handy feature from the commandline. technically, i would
assume distutils could take the list of files to install
and simple erase the files instead. then if the containing
folder was empty, remove the folder.

anyways, back to the bdist specific issues

> * the installer install directly into \Python20 -- shouldn't
>   it install to \Python20\Lib ? What's the standard here on Windows ?

distutils on windows always installs to this directory. bdist or
otherwise. i don't see any need for change?