deinstall (Was: Re: [Distutils] setup.py clean questions )

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Fri Feb 16 09:56:13 2001

Marc-Andre Lemburg:

> Hmm, it would probably be better to add a new method to Commands
> in general which undoes the actions applied by .run().
>
> In the above case, I'm using my own install_data Command class
> because I found the standard version unusable for my purposes
> (the standard command only installs data files in one directory,
> whereas I must install files in multiple directories).
>
> The uninstall command would then call the .uninstall() method of
> all install_* subcommands and have them do whatever is necessary
> to implement the uninstall machinery.
This would be one solution once the .uninstall() methods are all
implemented.

On the other hand, the install_data command is _completely_
undocumented (you have to read the source), and thus cannot really
be improved. I'm quote sure there are missing some features...

The 2.1 idle setup() script even uses it's own subclasses
of build_py and install_lib only to copy some
.txt and -gif files. Strange.

Thomas