deinstall (Was: Re: [Distutils] setup.py clean questions )

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri Feb 16 08:05:11 2001

Thomas Heller wrote:

> > I would name the command 'uninstall' though, since this is the
> > common term for these kinds of operations.
> >
> > One other area where try-except might be useful is around
> > os.remove(): the user should be informed about the failure to
> > complete the command in a different way than by a traceback...
> > e.g. if the file is locked. If it cannot be found, I think the
> > correct procedure should be to continue the command ignoring
> > the error.
> Sure.
>
> New version: ...

This works fine except that it does not remove data files
which are installed in subdirs of the installation, e.g.
documentation, READMEs and license information:

data_files = [

    'mx/Doc/mxExtensions.html',
    'mx/Doc/mxLicense.html',

    'mx/DateTime/Doc/mxDateTime.html',
    'mx/DateTime/Doc/mxDateTime-History.html',
    'mx/DateTime/Doc/mxLicense.html',
    'mx/DateTime/COPYRIGHT',
    'mx/DateTime/LICENSE',

]

Is there some easy way to get at those files from within the
uninstall command ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg