[Distutils] libraries options

Robin Becker robin@jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Mon Feb 5 07:46:24 2001

In article <023201c08d1c$7092bf40$e000a8c0@thomasnotebook>, Thomas
Heller <thomas.heller@ion-tof.com> writes
>Robin Becker writes
>> It seems that the libraries options are different to the Extension ones.
>> is it intentional that macros <> define_macros and that there is no
>> equivalent to undef_macros?
>I don't think so.
>To me it seemed strange that I have to use an instance of Extension
>to specify 'ext_modules', but have to supply dictionaries to 'libraries'.
>
>ext_modules and libraries probably should be unified.
>
>Thomas

OK I have been using static libs with distutils for a couple of days and
have noticed the following.

1) Under win32 at least the .lib files are placed by default in
temp.win32-2.0\ imho they should be placed alongside other object
modules.

2) The lib objects aren't placed in a release/debug subdirectory.

3) If a dynamic lib of the same name is present in one of the
directories mentioned in a libpath option that lib gets used first
(wrongly).

--
Robin Becker