[Distutils] Installing third-party files in modules

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue Dec 18 03:58:18 2001

S=E9bastien Pierre wrote:
>=20
> Le lundi 17 d=E9cembre 2001, =E0 09:59 PM, M.-A. Lemburg a =E9crit :
>=20
> > S=E9bastien Pierre wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I have a module a module "spam" that contains the "foo.py" file,
> >> plus some other files like "burps.xsl" or "bar.xml". What I want
> >> to do is when making a "setup.py install" that the "burps.xsl"
> >> and "bar.xml" get installed directly into the site-packages in
> >> the "spam" module.
> >>
> >> Actually distutils seems to ignore non "*.py" files. How can I
> >> override this?
> >
> > You should try to install them using the data_files option.
> > If that doesn't help, you can always subclass the various commands
> > to better fit your needs. See mxSetup.py in egenix-mx-base for
> > an example.
>=20
> I have looked (quickly) into mxSetup but have not found what I
> am looking fore. It seems like the data_files do not allow to
> specify source and target locations in the file system.
>=20
> If I specify the "spam/bar.xml" in the data_files, will it we
> outputted in sitepackages/spam/bar.xml ?

Well, you'll have to check the distutils source code for this.

AFAIR, it doesn't and that's why I had to add support to distutils
to enable this in mxSetup.py (in order to have the docs and license
files live inside the package dirs).

--=20
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH