[Distutils] Brewing controversy over header file installation

Fri Sep 15 10:21:01 2000

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 10:04:53AM -0400, Mark W. Alexander wrote:
>I disagree as well. To vastly over-simplify, why would a python
>package be installing headers and libraries for C only? Just

Counterexample: ExtensionClass from Digital Creations is a Python-only
C module for writing Python classes in C.  It needs to install an
ExtensionClass.h, which is then used by other C modules (such as
ZODB's cPersistence,

I think installing the files under the Python include directory is
fine, at least on Unix, since it means if C code can find Python.h, it
can also find ExtensionClass/ExtensionClass.h.  I'm not sure what to
do for Jack's problem.

--amk