[Distutils] New version of bdist_wininst

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Tue Sep 12 21:38:07 2000

On 12 September 2000, Thomas Heller said:
> I've checked in a slightly changed bdist_wininst
> version (already on saturday).
[...]
> Takes care of the extra_path argument to the setup function,
> installs the modules into <prefix>/extra_path and creates
> a -pth file (like install_lib does).

Hmmm.  And someone else recently pointed out that bdist_wininst doesn't
handle scripts (or was it data files? or both? whatever).  Sounds like
bdist_wininst isn't playing by the rules and running a fake install
before putting together its built distribution.  It shouldn't have to do
any work to handle extra_path/.pth files -- that should Just Work (TM).

(rummage rummage, peek prod, etc.)

HmmMMMMmmm.  It looks like bdist_wininst *is* doing the right thing:
running the "install" command directly, which should take care of this.
Something seems to be going wrong.  Thomas, have you looked into the
scripts/data (whichever) problem?  I'm confused... well, I've added an
entry to the TODO file, which is about all I have the brainpower left to
do tonight.

        Greg