[Distutils] First steps with distutils...

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat Sep 2 05:51:01 2000

Here is a list of things I've found while playing with the 0.9.2
snapshot.

I've also posted this to Greg directly, but on second
thought I think it might be worthwhile getting some feedback from
distutilers as well:

* distutils doesn't seem to like diretory names in MANIFEST

* the setup.py file itself is not included in the source
  distribution per default (why not ?)

* bdist_wininst wants zlib but the installer has a note that
  it is not using it anymore

* bdist_wininst fails with a setup.py file which does not
  define long_description

* bdist_rpm fails with an error in the rpm command (the source
  rpm is built, but it fails to build to the binary rpm for
  some reason -- it says, that it can't find the file ??);
  do I need some new rpm release for this to work ?

* the bdist commands don't compile the .py files into .pyo
  but this is needed in order to use them with python -O

* bdist (the dumb version) defaults to creating a tar.gz
  archive which is relative to / -- it shouldn't use the
  usr/local/ prefix to make the installation relocateable
  (e.g. to install under /usr, /opt, /opt/local, etc.)

* how can I define the compiler settings for extension
  compilation (it defaults to -m486 for RPMs -- -mcpu=pentium
  would be more appropriate; default for standard bdist
  seems to be -O2 and no architecture) ?

And a general question: how can I define which files are
documentation, examples and auxiliary files ?

More to come :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg