[Distutils] Distutils 1.0 code freeze: Oct 1

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Tue Oct 3 22:47:02 2000

On 28 September 2000, Thomas Heller said:
> Will report this on sourceforge, although I doubt Greg will be able
> to fix this...
>
> Distutils code freeze: Greg, I have some time next week to work on
> this. Do you give me permission to check it in if I find a solution?

Gee, I never replied to this, did I!  Did the bug get fixed?  Or is it
still there in 1.0?

Since I'm going to be off the 'net from now until well after Python 2.0
is released, I'm very reluctant to say, "Go ahead, check it in!" -- I
don't mind if Python 2.0 goes out with Distutils 1.0.1 (as opposed to
1.0), but I do mind if I'm not there to manage the 1.0.1 release.

Tell you what: I'll try to login and check my mail sometime this weekend
(Oct 7-8).  If there is a clear, obvious, well-understood, well-tested,
and approved-by-Thomas (and preferably at least one other Windows-based
Distutils hacker) fix for this bug, then I will do my damndest to put
together Distutils 1.0.1.

If there are any other glaring, show-stopping bugs in Distutils 1.0,
they are also be subject to this ruling.  (If you have to stand on your
hands and hit escape-meta-alt-control-shift-F13 while staring at the
screen cross-eyed to get a traceback, the bug probably *won't* be
fixed.)

If I'm unable to get a couple of uninterrupted hours this weekend, then
Python 2.0 will go out with Distutils 1.0 as-is.  This is the likely
scenario, given my plans for the weekend.  ;-)

        Greg
--
Greg Ward                                      gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/