[Distutils] ccompiler.py for an IDE

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Tue Nov 14 17:25:01 2000

I'm putting together a mwerksccompiler.py module for distutils, for
the MetroWerks CodeWarrior compiler on the macintosh.

However, I'm running into a bit of a problem: the distutils
architecture seems based on calling the compiler and linker and such
all by itself, not through an IDE or Makefile or something. Even for
MSVC it doesn't generate a project file but calls all the executables
by hand.

This isn't an option for CodeWarrior (or, at least, it would mean an
extraordinary amount of work), as the compilers and such are merely
plugins for the IDE, and everything is driven from the projectfile.

The solution I'm now thinking of is to let compile() simply stash away
the sourcefiles and include dirs and such and do all the work in
link(): generate the project file and build it.

Is this a feasible idea?
www.oratrix.nl/~jack    | ++++ see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/ ++++