[Distutils] Cygwin Python DLL and Shared Extension Patch

Jason Tishler Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
Fri Nov 10 22:18:01 2000

Marc-Andre,

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 04:32:41PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> I think our goal for distutils should be to provide a cygwin
> build target -- not encourage people to continue to use the
> old Makefile.pre.in method.

Sorry for the inappropriate post.  I'm really just a Cygwin person
trying to get up to speed with Python.

> Apart from that, I like the idea of being able to build Python
> using cygwin tools on Windows. This opens new possibilities
> for people who don't have access to a compiler on Windows.

I agreed and hope that people find at least some of my patch useful.
Any suggestions on how to move forward?  Should I just redo the patch
against Python CVS and submit it to the Patch Collector?  I was hoping
to get some feedback before doing so.

> BTW, do the extensions build using cygwin also work with the
> stock Python 2.0 installation ? AFAIR there have been a few
> problems with this in the past.

Some extensions built with Cygwin will, mine won't.  My extensions are
standard Cygwin DLLs not to be confused with extensions built with
mingw or with Cygwin using the -mno-cygwin option.  They are linked
with a Cygwin Python import library and not the stock Win32 Python one.
They are also dependent on the Cygwin POSIX emulation DLL, cygwin1.dll.

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235