[Distutils] Instructions for bdist_rpm

Harry Henry Gebel hgebel@inet.net
Thu, 4 May 2000 11:14:05 -0400

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 09:44:38AM -0400, Mark W. Alexander wrote:
> On Thu, 4 May 2000, Harry Henry Gebel wrote:
> > `rpm -ta` does not support patches, but I do not think that is a problem
> > because I don't plan to put patch support into bdist_rpm. People who are
> > producing patched RPMs will have to add the patches to the spec file by
> > hand, this is a simple process that involves adding two lines to the spec
> > file per patch and is one of the reasons I tried to keep the spec file as
> > clean as possible.
> Sold. Upon reflection, given the context of Distutils, patch support does
> seem kinda silly. That pretty much eradicates the other issues of
> using -t? vs. -b?. I'll step out of your way now...

My own personal reason is so I can add an option to use bztar for the
source code; rpm supports bzip2 with `rpm -ba` but not `rpm -ta`. And I
think Greg is right that they shouldn't have to include the spec file in
the RPM, it's just a requirement as long as I am using `rpm -ta`,
switching to `rpm -ba` would eliminate that to.

--
Harry Henry Gebel, Senior Developer, Landon House SBS
West Dover Hundred, Delaware