[Distutils] Re: Patch for NT

Mark Hammond mhammond@skippinet.com.au
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:21:32 +1000

> So you'll have build directories build/temp.nt/Debug and
> build/temp.nt/Release -- is that somehow better than
> build/temp.nt-debug
> and build/temp.nt-release?  I was kinda thinking along
> the latter lines;
> I don't *think* it makes any difference, apart from
> aesthetics.  Does

Nope - just aesthetics.  This is my preference, as it is a single
directory to ignore, rather than 2 :-)

> I'm guessing that The Microsoft Way would be to create an
> unnecessarily deep hierarchy.

Actually, by default it is very shallow - all temp and output files
go into either ".\Release" or ".\Debug" - adding the intermediate
layers (and sneaking them into Python itself) is my doing :-)

But given the 2 alternatives above, my preference is so slight it is
barely worth mentioning :-)

I can't answer your other question...

Mark.