[Distutils] patch to change order of -I's in build_ext.py

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:00:21 -0500

On 28 March 2000, Les Schaffer said:
> what was happening is this: changes were being made to the Numeric API
> -- changes reflected in the .h files in subdir Include -- but the
> distutils script build_ext.py was placing -I/usr/include/python1.5
> __before__ the local -IInclude, hence killing the compile process when
> API changes occured.
>
> the change below adds -I/usr/include/python1.5 to the end of the list
> self.include_dir rather than the beginning. perhaps you pros in
> distutils SIG have a better fix than this hack???

That looks like a reasonable fix.  Heck, I'd much rather write
"list.append" then "list.insert" -- fewer things to remember.

I'll check the change in shortly, but it won't show up in Distutils
0.1.x.

BTW, Is anyone in the NumPy community keeping on top of Distutils?
There have been a *lot* of changes since 0.1.3 was released in January,
and I have been rather free with making incompatible changes (because
there's no way I'm gonna be able to get away with them after Python
1.6/Distutils 1.0 are out).  I've also been keeping my
examples/numpy_setup.py script up-to-date with the changes, in hopes
that some eager NumPy hacker will keep an eye on the changes in
Distutils and be ready to update NumPy's real setup script when the time
comes.  Am I being overly optimistic?

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Unix bigot                                  gward@python.net