[Distutils] Installation: new code, new docs

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 21:36:35 -0500

On 23 March 2000, Joe Van Andel said:
> My extension modules are installed in
> /usr/local/python/lib/python1.5/site-packages/Perp/{sub_package}
>
> As of 3/23/00, the CVS version of distutils now complains:
>     raise DistutilsOptionError, \
> distutils.errors.DistutilsOptionError: invalid distribution option
> 'install_path'

Oops, shoulda mentioned that on the list: I unilaterally and arbitrarily
changed the name of that option to 'extra_path', since I think that's a
bit more descriptive.  (So I guess it wasn't *completely* arbitrary.)

I could put in a backwards compatibility hack if the change is a huge
burden (I don't think it should be!), but my excuse for not doing so is
that the version number is still < 1.0, and if you follow the CVS code
periodic breakage is just a fact of life.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - just another /P(erl|ython)/ hacker          gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/