[Distutils] winreg module changes

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 19:22:19 -0400 (EDT)

Greg Ward writes:
 > Two reasons: 1) time availability, 2) I don't know the new API and can't
 > test it in any case, and 3) -- no, THREE reasons! -- msvccompiler.py can

  I sent the note to the list so that people who can would be aware of
it and could make the changes -- I really didn't expect you to make
the changes.  ;)

 > either use the API provided by win32api and win32con or that provided by
 > the-module-formerly-known-as-winreg, because they are quite similar
 > interfaces.  If we switch to the (presumably nice and OO) interface
 > provided by winreg (not _winreg!), then compatibility with
 > win32api/win32con for Python 1.5.2 would go away.

  This is a more substantial reason.

 > No wait, FOUR reasons: it ain't broken.

  Counter:  The old winreg has never been part of a stable release.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>
BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member