[Distutils] remove_tree and PATH_CREATED

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:27:34 -0400

On 08 June 2000, Bastian Kleineidam said:
> in dir_util.py we have a cache which directories are
> created: PATH_CREATED. This is filled by mkpath. But it is not
> emptied by remove_tree because we use shutil.rmtree for this.

Oops!  Good catch.

> Solution 3: write your own rmtree function.
> I would prefer this solution.

Agreed.  Feel free to submit a patch -- but I'm gone for the next 6
days, so won't be able to check it in.  (Unless one of the other folks
with Python checkin privileges would care to usurp while I'm away... ;-)

This is a somewhat more obscure bug than the "undefined changelog" one,
though, so I don't think it's the end of the world if this goes unfixed
for a week.

BTW, two useful additions to "bdist_rpm" would be:

  --sdist=<archive_file>
    use this source distribution instead of creating our own
    (maybe "--source" would be better??? "--use-sdist"? "--use-source"?)

  --spec-file=<spec_file>
    use this spec file instead of creating our own
    ("--use-spec" maybe?)

Any takers?

BTW, the SourceForge patch and bug trackers for Python have been
enabled, and since the Distutils are part of Python, this should work
for the Distutil too.  Feel free to submit patches via SF rather than
the list -- if enough people do it, then I'll probably get in the habit
of checking it.  This would be especially useful while I'm away, so
patches don't pile up in my inbox (or the list archive).

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Linux geek                                  gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/