[Distutils] WinNT and distutils

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:08:07 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Greg Ward wrote:
> What 1.6 features are really, absolutely necessary, though?  So far I
> see only one:
>
>   * registry access on Windows
>
> Others?

Some people have suggested that distutils does some of its install work
via the new import stuff.

I'm not sure what that entails (I don't understand why distutils would
need the custom importing/packaging that imputil provides). Also, I don't
have feedback from Guido yet on what needs to happen to imputil before its
incorporation into 1.6. So I'd count this as a "thought" rather than a
requirement.

> Oh yeah, will the registry-access code that Robin Becker posted work
> under 1.5.2 with Mark's extensions installed as well as under 1.6 with
> built-in registry support?

It won't work until 1.6 because we don't have the 1.6 design yet :-)

But, there is no reason it shouldn't (with some creative try/except around
some imports). Note that win32api isn't going into 1.6 -- either a new
module from scratch, or a small extraction of win32api. In any case, it
certainly won't (can't) be called win32api.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/