[Distutils] WinNT and distutils

Robin Becker robin@jessikat.demon.co.uk
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:53:13 +0000

In article <388D6121.A4D31685@lemburg.com>, M.-A. Lemburg
<mal@lemburg.com> writes
>Thomas Heller wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> > running build_ext
>> > [errors running MSVC]
>> >
>> You have to make sure that the environment is set up for VC. Run the file
>> vcvars32.bat
>> in the Visual C bin directory.
>
>Perhaps the msvccompiler.py class should take care of this too...
>it would sure help to avoid a distutils FAQ.

Surely msvccompiler can tell if a particular file (say cl.exe) isn't in
any of the well known places. Then it can just issue the correct
commands with the path attached or tell the user it can't find
cl.exe/link.exe and then ask for vcvars32.bat to be run first. I assume
we're not going to search all known drives for the correct exe's.

I guess we're not allowed to look in the registry unless Mark Hammond's
things are around.
--
Robin Becker