[Distutils] Distutils prerequisites

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 22:02:24 -0400

Hi all --

I've just added a "requirements" section to the Distutils README to
explain the need for Python 1.5.2 (for now), and the problem with
certain Linux distributions that break Python into several packages.
Here's what I have so far:

  REQUIREMENTS
  ------------

  Distutils 0.8 require Python 1.5.2 or later.

  Under Unix, you must have a *complete* Python installation, including
  the Makefile and config.h used to build Python.  These should be in
  <exec-prefix>/lib/python1.X/config (where <exec-prefix> is the value of
  the --exec-prefix option to Python's configure script, by default
  "/usr/local").

  Certain Linux distributions break Python up into multiple packages; you
  should make sure you have all required packages installed:

     Red Hat            python, python-devel
     SuSE               ???
     Mandrake           ???
     Debian             ???

Can anyone help me fill in the blanks here?  Are there other
distributions I should be listing?  Do any of the *BSD's include Python,
and if so, do they break it up in this way?

Also, what are the requirements on Windows?  AFAIK all you need to
install the Distutils proper is Python 1.5.2 or later (keep in mind that
I have only made 1.5.1 compat. changes to the 0.1.x code -- I still need
to port those changes to the current code).  But to build extensions, I
*think* it goes like this:

  * Visual C++ 5.x or 6.x (what can x equal?)
  * Python 1.5.x only: win32api and win32con modules recommended
    (for registry access, which is provided by the standard
    winreg module in Python 1.6)

Anything else?

        Greg
--