[Distutils] installing over read-only files in /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages

Joe Van Andel vanandel@ucar.edu
Tue, 04 Apr 2000 16:18:41 -0600

If I use distutils to install a package, and one of the previously
installed files is readonly in
/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/<PACKAGE>

distutils prints:

copying build/lib.linux-i586/Perp/util/NumUtil.py ->
/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/Perp/util
error: /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/Perp/util/NumUtil.py: Permission
denied

I'd prefer that distutils acts like the BSD "install" command.  install
can set readonly permissions on the "target", but will remove the file
to replace it.

And come to think of it, I think that distutils should default to
installing .py and .so files as
readonly.

Reactions?

--