[Distutils] DEF Files

Anthony Pfrunder s341625@student.uq.edu.au
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:38:28 +1000 (GMT+1000)

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Robert Kern wrote:

> I may be missing something, but is it permissible for distutils to
> generate a temporary DEF file that exists only until the end of the
> compilation?

That's what I currently do for cygwin - msvc uses the /exports version
instead (btw how do you tell it via command line options not to generate
big fat files that are a waste of space?? (ie precompiled headers ;)

> FWIW, I agree with David that requiring modifying the source of an
> extension is not a good thing.  It only adds a headache for people trying to port from *NIX to
> Windows (and we have enough to deal with,
> believe me), and it pollutes the code with weird MS extensions.
... and weird unix only utilites such as sed [sorry, my Windows side speaking]

Isn't the point of distutils to provide a cross-platform compile system?

Cheers,

Anthony Pfrunder
Computer Systems Engineering
University of Queensland