[Distutils] extensions in packages

Mark Hammond MHammond@skippinet.com.au
Sat, 22 May 1999 08:51:02 +1000

FWIW, I _do_ use DLLs in packages, and it causes me no end of grief.  I
need to have special runtime hacks that works with __path__, I need a
special __init__ in the package where the DLL is to "appear", and also need
even further special casing for Freeze!

So although I can see the problems with the mechanisms, IMO it is very
important that packages be capable of treating DLLs as first-class
citizens.

Personally, I would not have a "compatibility" problem as such, but I would
need to remove or update my hacks - but I find that reasonable.

Mark.