[Distutils] Revised design proposal

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:55:11 -0500 (EST)

Greg Ward writes:
 > (Distinguishing the end of the option list for cmd1 from cmd2 might be a
 > bit tricky if command options can take arguments, which they certainly
 > should do.  If we want getopt-style syntax, it looks like we'll have to
 > reinvent the getopt module.  :-(  And if we opt for a different syntax,

Greg,
  I don't see any need to re-implement getopt here; the existing
module should work just fine.

 > developer (the person who wrote the setup.py for this module
 > distribution) may define a set of distribution-specific command-line
 > options, which may be mixed in with the global options (and extracted

  The need for this is not clear.

 > from distutils.core import setup
 > setup (name = "mymod",
 >        version = "1.2",
 >        author = "Greg Ward <gward@cnri.reston.va.us>",
 >        description = "A very simple, one-module distribution")

  This is good.

 > ...well, that's a start.  I still don't know how to make all those
 > Unixish C compilation variables more cross-platform.

  Meta-comment:  I am very concerned that the non-Unix crowd doesn't
seem to be involved with this project.  Is there any way to make them
aware of the effort?

 >   * the command class constructor parses its options to set/override
 >     some instance attributes

  It should get the result of getopt.getopt(...)[0] as a parameter,
pre-parsed, with the class attributes "shortopts" and "longopts" (or
some such) used for the parameters to getopt.getopt().

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>
1895 Preston White Dr.	    Reston, VA  20191