[Distutils] Re: Installer

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:59:00 -0500

Christian wrote:

> I had a look - nice thingy.

Thanks.
> My target was to keep as many files as possible in the .exe
> and use is as a repository, acting as a vitual file system.
> Redirection to a fake file system should be easy with Greg's
> module.
> Only the dlls must be pulled out, there is no chance to
> avoid this. I thought of /windows/temp for them.

The only difference between Launch.exe and Run.exe is that Run
removes everything it pulls out at end of run. Of course, if you
don't reach end of run, it'll leave everything lying around.

If you wanted to do a _really_ self contained virtual file system,
then the "stuff" should be a valid section in the exe, and the C
should get a pointer to the section. No file needed, but you would
have to patch the exe.

But since they're just tacked together and we open the exe as a file
to find everything, it didn't seem worth it to add the smarts for
nested packaging.

> Your cookie looks funny. I looked at it from a dos window
> and I'm trying to figure out what the meaning of 'MEI'
> plus all the male/female symbols could be :-)

MEI stands for "McMillan Enterprises Inc.".  The male symbols are an
obvious expression of the phallic nature of structs; I'd guess the
female symbols are evoked by the matriarchal nature of ANSI
societies.

or-maybe-it's-the-Freudian-nature-of-Deutche-dos-boxes-ly y'rs

- Gordon