[Distutils] Disposition of C extensions and packages

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 18:06:52 -0500 (EST)

Guido van Rossum writes:
>> But what platform-specific directory should
>> packages be installed into?
> <exec_prefix>lib/python<version>/site-packages

Ah, so then you should never attempt to share site-packages between
different Python installations.  If you want a directory of common
Python code that's used by several different Python binaries, I guess
you should hack sitecustomize.py to modify sys.path accordingly.  One
for GPW's notes on administering a Python installation...

I think this argues for changes in the Distutils -- right now
an installation like this is really hard.

Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage.
    -- William Ellery Channing