[Distutils] Questions about distutils strategy

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 13:01:27 -0500 (EST)

David Ascher writes:
>The hard thing will probably be to support all of the things which Windows
>developers expect, such as the ability to have Debug and Release builds
>(and CE builds, and ...).

Is it really necessary for people to develop their code using
Distutils, as opposed to developing in their preferred environment and
then wrapping things up for distribution?  If I was debugging a C
module, I don't think I'd bother compiling it through the distutils;
more likely I'd just write a Makefile.pre.in and Setup.in.

run-time. n. (QA testing) the moment when the programmer shouts "Must run!"
and disappears.
    -- Stan Kelly-Bootle, _The Computer Contradictionary_