[Distutils] PATCH: sysconfig and NT

Andrew Dalke dalke@bioreason.com
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 19:18:22 -0600

Amos Latteier <amos@aracnet.com> said:
> I noticed that distutils installs itself under 'lib\site-packages'
> which does not seem to be a convention under NT, at least the
> directory does not exist by default, and is not in the Python path
> by default.

It directory is added by site.py, which is imported when you
start python (unless you use
"python -S").  Quoting from it:
| This will append site-specific paths to to the module search path.  On
| Unix, it starts with sys.prefix and sys.exec_prefix (if different) and
| appends lib/python<version>/site-packages as well as lib/site-python.
| On other platforms (mainly Mac and Windows), it uses just sys.prefix
| (and sys.exec_prefix, if different, but this is unlikely).  The
| resulting directories, if they exist, are appended to sys.path, and
| also inspected for path configuration files.

Regarding the fact that the directory doesn't exist, I just checked
the unix install and it doesn't seem to create that directory either.
Rather, I just did:

   make -n install | grep site

and didn't find anything.  Also, I see my "site-packages" directory
has the wrong unix group and creation time, so it must have been
created manually.

Anyway, lib's "site-packages" is the official place for installing
Python packages.

from your patch:
>     g['LIBDEST']=os.path.join(sys.exec_prefix, "Lib")
>     g['BINLIBDEST']=os.path.join(sys.exec_prefix, "Lib")

Is that really "Lib" or just "lib"?  Granted, it is NT which means
I know nearly diddly about it.

						Andrew
						dalke@bioreason.com