[Distutils] (final?) automake related questions

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:31:41 -0400 (EDT)

Greg Ward writes:
 > particular application (or even module distribution, although it's
 > probably bad practice for a programming library to have config files)
 > using that to put its stuff in /usr/local/lib.  If there's a demand for
 > it, Distutils could probably have direct support for installing
 > "ancillary files", but I don't see that being an issue until we truly
 > support Python *applications* (as opposed to libraries).

  There are too many examples of libraries needing supplemental data
to ignore this.  A common example would be a library that provides
character set re-encoding; the code could be fairly simple, and
specific encodings could be loaded on demand from tables associated
with a library.  Similar considerations may be applicable to many
other functions; the tables may contain font information for a layout
engine, etc.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>