[Distutils] Compiler abstractiom model

Greg Ward gward@cnri.reston.va.us
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:17:58 -0500

Quoth Greg Stein, on 31 March 1999:
> You can also save yourself a lot of time by building something that
> seems reasonable and waiting for the feedback from people who need it
> and/or feel it is important.

Umm, that *is* how I'm attacking the problem!  I just want to make sure
that the design is open enough that people can attack that last 5% (or
10% or 20% or whatever) without running up against the brick wall of a
short-sighted design.  That's the biggest pitfall of OO: sure it leads
to extensible and reusable designs, but only if you carefully build
extensibility and reusability into those designs.  That's what I'm
trying to do with Distutils, and the point of this whole discussion is
to get the feedback I need to see if the design is indeed extensible and
reusable enough!

I think we're in agreement here, except that I'm not even shooting for a
95% job.  IMHO getting 90% or 80% of the way there would be enough to
build on.

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - software developer                    gward@cnri.reston.va.us
1895 Preston White Drive                           voice: +1-703-620-8990