[DB-SIG] .rowcount issues with large affected row counts.

..: Mark Sloan :.. mark.a.sloan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 18:24:56 EDT 2017

Hi all,

Kind of new to a lot things here so if I am way off please correct me.

using psycopg2 with postgres / greenplum / redshift it's now pretty easy to
have a single query have a affected row count higher than it seems
.rowcount allows for.

I am pretty sure libpq returns the affected row as a string ("for
historical reasons" according to the pg mailing threads) however when I
have a large update statement (e.g. several billion) I seem to get a
.rowcount back that isn't correct.

using the psql client I can't reproduce the affected row count being
incorrect there.

any ideas or suggestions?

thanks

-Mark