[DB-SIG] How does one determine which underlying database engine is in use?

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 19:08:14 CET 2011

When one is using a generic database access tool, such as ADO or ODBC, it is
possible that the programmer does not know in advance what database engine
will eventually be used.

Since different engines have vastly different requirements [1] it would be
nice for the programmer to be able to determine which database engine his
user has handed him.

Is there any sort of standard or usual way that information may be
obtained?  (If egenix has an extension for this I will happily adopt it.)
--
Vernon Cole

[1] for example, do I use TOP or LIMIT to restrict the number of rows in a
result set?