[DB-SIG] python connection to Velocis Database

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Dec 8 11:43:55 CET 2009

Susan wrote:
> Thanks Vernon & Marc-Andre for your replies. Your suggestion has been
> helpful and I am running Microsoft Windows. The following:
>
> from win32com.client import Dispatch
> conn = Dispatch(r'ADODB.Connection')
> conn.Open("Dsn=xxx;uid=xxx;pwd=xxx")
> conn.Execute('create table foo (blah char(30) )')
> conn.Execute("insert into foo values('jenny')")
> conn.Close()
>
> works and creates a table 'foo'.
>
> However, a simple select results in an error:
>
> from win32com.client import Dispatch
> conn = Dispatch(r'ADODB.Connection')
> conn.Open("Dsn=xxx;uid=xxx;pwd=xxx")
>  recset, affected = conn.Execute('select name from tablename')
> conn.Close()

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "<COMObject ADODB.Connection>", line 3, in Execute
>   File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py",
> line 272, in _ApplyTypes_
>     result = self._oleobj_.InvokeTypes(*(dispid, LCID, wFlags,
> retType, argTypes) + args)
> pywintypes.com_error: (-2147352567, 'Exception occurred.', (0, None,
> None, None, 0, -2147467259), None)
>
> Has anyone who has worked on old, esoteric databases before
> encountered a similar problem and solved it?

We regularly add work-arounds for ODBC-driver quirks to mxODBC.
This also includes providing custom versions supporting older
versions of databases or ones that are not in common use.

Regards,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Dec 08 2009)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/