[DB-SIG] Python to SQL Server

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Jun 10 11:40:39 CEST 2008

On 2008-06-10 03:18, Mark Matthews wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a client that we have built a Python-PostgreSQL-Linux solution
> for. It works well, very stable, robust ...
>
> However, they are a little keen on Microsoft products and are enquiring
> about migrating to SQL Server (database only, leaving the app running on
> Linux with Python)
>
> I am assuming the best way forward is mxODBC. Has anyone got any better
> ideas on how to do this. Note that it must be very stable and robust -
> this is the operations system in a finance company

If you want to connect to SQL Server from a Linux box, the best way
to do this is to use a commercial ODBC driver such as the one from
EasySoft and then talk to it via mxODBC.

You could also use the free FreeTDS ODBC driver, but it's not really
production quality and we don't recommend using it for mission
critical applications.

BTW: We'll also announce a new product this week which works much
like a bridge and avoids having to find an ODBC driver for client
application platform. It's still in beta, but we expect the final
release by the end of the month.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 10 2008)
2008-07-07: EuroPython 2008, Vilnius, Lithuania            26 days to go