[DB-SIG] A slightly different paramstyle suggestion

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Fri Jun 22 20:43:32 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 10:33 -0600, Anthony Tuininga wrote:
> I would like to suggest adding
> the syntactic sugar (*args, *kwargs) in order to avoid having to build
> the list, tuple or dictionary when passing arguments to the execute
> method. For backwards compatibility you can check the list of
> parameters and if the length is one and the first argument is a list,
> tuple or dictionary change the arguments to the new style on the fly.

-1

As much as I'd like to be able to do this, I don't think this can be
done in a backwards compatible way that is guaranteed to do the right
thing in all cases. If the query has one placeholder and the parameter
is a one-element sequence, it is impossible to know for certain whether
the sequence itself or its only contained element should be bound as the
parameter.

I think we should refuse the temptation to guess and go with the
established semantics.

--
Carsten Haese
http://informixdb.sourceforge.net