[DB-SIG] paramstyles, again (and now voting)

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Jun 20 23:59:07 CEST 2007

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
 > On 2007-06-20 23:15, Paul Boddie wrote:
 >> On Wednesday 20 June 2007 22:51, Carsten Haese wrote:
 >>> If I counted correctly, six votes were cast and the totals are:
 >>>
 >>> qmark 3
 >>> named 4
 >>> numeric -1
 >>> format -5
 >>> pyformat -2
 >>>
 >>> So the winner seems to be "named" unless six votes aren't enough to
 >>> constitute consensus.
 >> Well, as was pointed out already, qmark is part of the SQL standard and should
 >> feature as part of the absolute minimum level of support for parameters in
 >> the DB-API. I've seen named and numeric in Oracle environments only, and I'm
 >> not convinced that in my last excursion into Oracle JDBC territory those
 >> paramtypes were even permitted, even though Oracle likes to break standards
 >> and conventions wherever it feels like it.
 >
 > How about making both qmark and named the minimum required
 > parameter styles ?!

Forget minimum.
Make qmark and named requried.
Make paramstyle something that is set/passed in as part of the init, and is
ReadOnly after that.   It should default to the same thing in all implementations.

I think we can make it super simple, and it will be way better than the current
implementation.

For backwards compatibility,  It should be pretty easy to wrap all the v3
modules in a v2 conversion layer that will add the extra 'features' like pyformat.

Carl K