[DB-SIG] Several newbie questions

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz ghankiewicz at rastertech.es
Wed Jan 10 11:10:04 CET 2007

Hello.

I'm new to the world of Python database access. I've read the DB-API
documents and find the 2.0 version pretty nice. However, for my current
work I have to access a local .mdb file.

I've already been able to do it with the pywin32 odbc module, which
AFAIK it conforms to the DB-API 1.0. I've found adodbapi, which says it
is 2.0, but it fails with huge fireworks trying to access tables with
binary objects (something about COM objects being unknown), so I can't
use it. I've tried contacting the author but I'm waiting for any answer.

Is it right that there is no other MS Access python module? I guess I'll
have to use odbc then.

Also, the DB-API 2.0 spec says several things about yet to be solved
issues, like loss-less currency types and such. Is there anywhere a
roadmap about this? Is a DB-API 3.0 in the works?

I've tried contacting the webmaster at python.org to tell that there's
no link for adodbapi and the odbc documentation/hint links are borken,
but have received no answer.

Also, I've found http://adodb.sourceforge.net/ not listed on those
pages. It says it should work with access through odbc. Has somebody
tried this with success? The python documentation mentions that it has
to drift from the DB-API 2.0 spec due to limitations in how rows are
retrieved. Is this some sort of big split in the Python database
community? I mean, is this going to be addressed by a future PEP or are
people leaving DB-API 2.0 in favor of the adodb api?

--
Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz, Jefe de producto de TeraVial
Rastertech España S.A.    Tel: +34 918 467 390, ext 18.
http://www.rastertech.es/    ghankiewicz at rastertech.es