[DB-SIG] dbf memo access

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sun Apr 1 23:43:46 CEST 2007

On 2007-04-01 22:52, Carl Karsten wrote:
> I need to read (not write) some dbf memo data (memo is dBase's datatype to store
> 'unlimited' text, much like a blob or text field.)  to make things worse,
> various implementations of the dbf engine have different formats for storing
> memos - I forget what the dBaseIII file name was, but I currently need VFP's,
> which is filename.FPT (fox pro text)
>
> The few hits I got on google didn't make it clear if they supported any sort of
> dbf memo, let alone VFP's.
>
> I do most of my work in linux, so hoping for something other than the odbc way,
> but I can use that if it is my only choice.

If you only need to do this once, then using the MS FoxPro ODBC on Windows
is the best and easiest way to extract the data.

Some other references that might help:

Read dBase3 in Python:
    http://cwashington.netreach.net/depo/view.asp?Index=102&ScriptType=python

Read dBase and xBase files:
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/362715

Not sure whether those two help with memos.

Cheers,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 01 2007)