[DB-SIG] Question about MySQL insert function

Kiwi Golf ioboe at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 30 07:49:16 CEST 2006

Dear all,

Following is the example code I tried. I got a problem that the table is
created however the data can not insert into MySQL server. Any idea how to
fix this?

Thank you very much!
Chloe
import sys
import MySQLdb

# connect to the MySQL server
try:
    conn = MySQLdb.connect (host = "localhost",
                            user = "root",
                            passwd = "1234",
                            db = "animal")
except MySQLdb.Error, e:
    print "Error %d: %s" % (e.args[0], e.args[1])
    sys.exit (1)

# create the animal table and populate it
try:
    cursor = conn.cursor ()
    cursor.execute ("DROP TABLE IF EXISTS animal1")
    cursor.execute ("""
        CREATE TABLE animal1
               (
                   name CHAR(40),
                   category CHAR(40)
               )
           """)

    cursor.execute ("""
        INSERT INTO animal1 (name, category)
        VALUES
                   ('snake', 'reptile'),
                   ('frog', 'amphibian'),
                   ('tuna', 'fish'),
                   ('racoon', 'mammal')
           """)
    print "%d rows were inserted" % cursor.rowcount

    cursor.close ()

except MySQLdb.Error, e:
    print "Error %d: %s" % (e.args[0], e.args[1])
    sys.exit (1)

    conn.close ()
    sys.exit (0)