[DB-SIG] query - prepared statment

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Sat Feb 11 03:25:43 CET 2006

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:15:36 +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote
> Carsten Haese wrote:
> > Apparently cx_Oracle implements a non-standard prepare() method that
> > prepares a query string for later execution by either passing the same
> > string or None to execute().
>
> Perhaps we should something like this to the list of standard
> DB-API extensions ?!
>
> This is what we have in mxODBC 2.1:
>
> cursor.prepare(operation)
>
>    Prepare a database operation (query or command) statement for
> later   execution and set cursor.command. To execute a prepared
> statement,   pass cursor.statement to one of the .executeXXX()
> methods. Return   values are not defined.
>
> cursor.command
>
>    Provides access to the last prepared or executed SQL command
>    available through the cursor. If no such command is available,
>  None   is returned.
>
> Looks very similar to what cx_Oracle implements.

This is easy to implement in InformixDB, so I'll vote +1 to this becoming a
standardized optional extension ;)

Am I assuming correctly that cursor.command and cursor.statement are two
different proposed names for the same thing? I'm +1 for cursor.statement and
+0 for cursor.command.

-Carsten