[DB-SIG] Re: May we get an actual ANSWER to the F.A.Q...How c an I construct a dictionary???

Dittmar, Daniel daniel.dittmar at sap.com
Tue Sep 23 05:07:39 EDT 2003

> I think perhaps it has more to do with the attitudes of those
> involved in
> the
> SIG, to be honest.  I've watched this list for quite a while,
> and although
> helpful, many people seem to shun the idea of providing higher level
> interfaces in the DB-API, such as access-by-column-name.

- there are those driver authors who don't want to have to add something to their driver when perfectly good solutions exists as wrappers, especially when the driver is written in C
- there are those driver authors who have implemented such a feature, but are afraid that the new API might be incompatible with their existing code
- there are those driver users who have their own abstraction layer anyway
- there are those nitpickers who say that column names aren't necessarily unique and that the uppercase/lowercase issues make it worse

Daniel

--
Daniel Dittmar
SAP DB, SAP Labs Berlin