[DB-SIG] Newb Quiestion

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Wed Sep 17 04:53:33 EDT 2003

Conrad Koziol wrote:

>Hello i'm new to programming and was wondering if you can suggest a free
>database.

It really depends on your requirements but PostgreSQL
(http://www.postgresql.org/) is my preferred solution. MySQL
(http://www.mysql.com/) is another popular choice.

>Also any place to find a tutorial on using it with python and
>the modules you need to use it???

You will almost certainly be accessing the database via the DB-API
interface which is quite straightforward:

    http://python.org/peps/pep-0249.html

I don't have any good tutorial links, have you tried Google?

A full list of modules is available here:

    http://python.org/topics/database/modules.html

I have personally used pyscopg and pyPgSQL (with PostgreSQL) and both
work well. They are licensed differently which may influence your choice.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Matt

--
Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd