[DB-SIG] MySQL error 2013, 'Lost connection to MySQL server during query'

Lloyd Kvam pythontutor at venix.com
Tue May 20 17:09:40 EDT 2003

OperationalError: (2013, 'Lost connection to MySQL server during query'

I am getting occasional Lost Connection errors even when running against
localhost.  I do not have a reliable way to generate these errors, but they
occur too often to ignore.  I am starting to wonder if I could have made a
mistake in how I use the API.  I am using the MySQLdb module to connect to
a MySQL database.

The code uses the connection object:
	to get a cursor
	execute an SQL command
	save/print/use the result
I have not been closing cursors, but simply leaving them to get garbage
collected.  I have not been reusing cursors for successive queries.

Should I be closing cursors?  Would I be better off reusing the same
cursor where possible?

Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp.
1 Court Street, Suite 378