[DB-SIG] How to know what to do with parameters...

Kevin Jacobs jacobs at penguin.theopalgroup.com
Fri May 16 13:37:47 EDT 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Magnus Lyckå wrote:
> I would like to suggest that the DB-API will stipulate
> that the DBinterfaces should check whether an object has
> a method of a certain, standardized name, and use that
> method to extract the stringified value to put in the
> SQL statement, it the object has such a method.

This assumes that objects will only need to know how to encode themselves
for a single known backend, or that all possible backends can rely on a
single encoding.  Both are very bad assumptions.  (Not that most of the rest
of the recent discussion on how to "fix" DB-API is not equally as flawed).

If it were that easy, it would have already been done.  However, it is not
an intractible problem, though it does _very_ quickly escape the scope of
DB-API and deserves a distinct API layer of its own.

-Kevin

Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect
Voice: (216) 986-0710 x 19         E-mail: jacobs at theopalgroup.com
Fax:   (216) 986-0714              WWW:    http://www.theopalgroup.com