[DB-SIG] API suggestion: expose 'quote' method

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Thu Jun 5 12:40:28 EDT 2003

Magnus Lyckå wrote:
> At 17:18 2003-06-04 -0700, Chris Cogdon wrote:
>
>> So, perhaps what I really should be asking for is to include a
>> specification for an interface, such as what I've suggested before,
>> but make that a OPTIONAL part of the specification. Ie, if it's easy
>> enough to expose, then the driver writers should expose it in the
>> standard form.
>>
>> Does THAT sound reasonable ?
>
> Certainly. Many drivers implement things beyond the mandatory
> standard, and if it's possible to get the extras compatible
> across drivers, that's a big bonus in my opinion.

No objection to adding a note to the spec about this. I still
think that you have to flesh out a reasonable API for this,
though, e.g. quoting should implemented on a per data type
basis rather than on a per SQL statement basis.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Software directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 05 2003)