[DB-SIG] mySQL vs Matisse vs PostgreSQL ???

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Jul 2 20:35:52 EDT 2003

If you are looking for an embedded database, you should really look at
SQLite.  But other's have already said that.  I certainly wouldn't
suggest Gadfly, which I don't believe is being actively maintained.

There are several Python ORM's (mapping tables to Python objects).  See
http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/HigherLevelDatabaseProgramming

My own, SQLObject, supports SQLite.  I can't say much about a C++ API,
though -- I don't believe any of them have that.  Besides db_row, I
think they are all pure Python, and any C++ access would have to be the
same way you access any Python object.

The advantage, though, would be that your less agile code (written in
C++) wouldn't be strongly tied to the persistence mechanism, making
future concurrency or networkability easier to achieve.